Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Taking the next step

With our move to Texas becoming a reality, over the next few weeks I expect to experience a roller coaster of emotions, ranging from excitement to panic. I hope, though, that in the midst of the chaos my overall attitude will be one of faith and thanksgiving.

When we first started seriously planning our move many months ago, I was beginning to wonder if we were making the right decision. We were preparing to leave our home of 17 years, our family, and many friends, to move to a city we had never even seen. Were we crazy, I wondered. I asked God to give me direction, and he was very quick to answer my prayer.

A few days later I was reading my daily meditation in The Word Among Us, and one section of the meditation really touched me. The Mass reading for that day was the story of Tobiah and Sarah from the book of Tobit. The reflection focused on marriage and the trust in God that married couples need to “move forward into the future.”

The meditation ended with this exhortation: “If you feel God nudging you down a certain path, know that he will be traveling down that path with you as well. So go ahead, and take that next step. Remember all the past times that you’ve seen the Spirit move in your life, and know that he will grant you joy as you step into the future he has planned for you.”

The answer couldn’t have been clearer. I had no doubt that this exhortation was meant for me, with regard to our move. I felt certain that God was saying, “Yes, this is my will for you. I’m asking you to trust me, and I will be with you.”

Over the past few months, when things have gotten crazy and the doubts and fears have started to creep back in, I have gone back to these words many times. I have also tried to remember God’s faithfulness in the past, especially the last time we made a big move.

Please pray for us as we “take that next step.” Pray that we can stay focused on God and that we remain open to whatever he is calling us to in our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment