Thursday, September 17, 2015

God's mercies are new every morning

"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness."


Thanks for all the prayers last week as Paul and I made our journey south. We left on Tuesday morning and arrived in Temple on Friday afternoon. Although the long drive was exhausting, and at times stressful, we could really feel God’s presence with us.

All along the way, God kept reminding us that he was with us. During one of the most stressful moments of our trip we passed a huge billboard that said, “Trust in Jesus.” During the last leg of our journey, as we were passing through downtown Houston, Paul pointed out the “St. Joseph Professional Center.” I looked up just in time to see a billboard right beside the building with the word “TRUST” in big, bold letters, another reminder for us to trust in God and to entrust ourselves to the intercession of St. Joseph. Later that night, as we came out of a restaurant, I noticed a small truck parked near our car. On the side of the truck were the words: “God’s mercies are new every morning.”

Every morning, before setting out for the day, Paul and I prayed and committed the day to the Lord. Each night we thanked God for being with us and invoked the help of the archangels, particularly St. Michael. In the “Prayer before a Journey,” we asked God to “grant us, we beseech Thee, safe journey and favorable weather…”

The weather forecast, at least for Texas, was not very favorable that week, with the likelihood of storms almost every day. However, God was very faithful. For the most part, the weather was dry and somewhat cooler than it had been. We only passed through heavy rain a few times, and almost each time the rain only lasted a few minutes. Because there were storms in the area, though, we were able to witness some pretty amazing skies:


Paul got sick about halfway through the journey, so I ended up doing all the driving for the last 3 days. I usually have trouble staying awake for even short trips, so I wasn’t sure how long I’d be able to drive each day. However, God was faithful again and enabled me to stay awake and alert. We made frequent stops, but I was able to drive for about 8 or more hours a day, which was quite miraculous.

We arrived in Temple at almost exactly 3:00 (“the hour of Divine Mercy”) on Friday afternoon, another sign, I thought, that God was with us.

After signing the lease, getting the keys, and unloading the car, we headed for Houston to spend the night with Liz and Charles. By the time we left Temple, though, it was starting to get dark. My night vision is not what it used to be, so we had to stop for the night on the outskirts of Houston, about an hour from Liz’s house.

When we arrived at Liz’s house on Saturday morning, we all piled into their rental car and set out for a family gathering in Louisiana. It was another long ride, but I didn’t have to drive, and I got to spend plenty of time hanging out in the back seat with Liz and Genevieve.


We had a wonderful visit with Charles’ family and arrived back in Houston safely on Sunday night. Thus ended Phase 2 of our big move to Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment